February 28, 2012

Nice to meet you, Millet

Have you ever had millet before? This week was my first time!

Following a Gluten Free Cleanse, I have the opportunity (or excuse) to try many foods that I never had before. Millet is one of them.

I've passed by it at the grocery store tons of times, but never thought of purchasing it. I just stock to the basic, quinoa and rice.

However, I've learnt from personal experiences, that it is extremely important to eat a variety of foods. Eating too much of or to often the same foods will most likely lead to food sensitivities.
 
So now I know that I really like millet and trust me, it will now be on my grocery list.
It makes for a delicious hot cereal. A very comforting and filling breakfast.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I was doing a bit of research on this whole grain and found out that it is used to make a traditional African flatbread known as injera.

Hmm this rings a bell... yes! I've had injera many times before here (I guess I'm not so new to millet after all).

Oh, how I wish I knew how to make injera. It is a delicious warm moist spongy flatbread used instead of a fork to pick up and eat African curries and stews.

If you are reading this and know how to make injera, please let me know!!

Smiles,
Tami

What is your favourite gluten free whole grain?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tami! I go on an Ethiopian kick every so often and make injera, niter kebbeh and wot, it is fun.

    Get some Teff flour, or grind whole teff grains very small. I use Bob's Red Mill teff flour from planet organic, works fine. 2 cups will make 3 or 4 big injera or more smaller ones if you don't have a huge pan.

    Mix with water to make a thin batter. Around 2 1/2 cups water. You can thin it more later if it is too thick. It should pour freely like crepe batter but not be watery.

    For 100% teff injera with no wheat flour (my favourite) you need 2-3 days to ferment. You can do it faster with a probiotic capsule dumped in the batter, or kefir grains or any other starter, but it will work fine on its own too. Leave it loosely covered: lid loosely on, or dishcloth+rubber band. Don't seal it airtight, or refrigerate it.

    It is ready when it has signs of being alive. Little bubbles, a soured flavour, a smell like sourdough etc. Put it in the fridge to cool before cooking, or to put it in stasis for another day or two until you're ready to cook.

    I use a large seasoned cast iron skillet with med-high heat, around 400F. Pre-heat a lid on the skillet, you don't flip injera.

    Pour the stinky batter in, if it does not pour like thick cream then add a little water. Cook uncovered until the edges are baked and the bubbles form, tip around to cover the pan, and before it's dry all the way through put the lid on. Keep it covered, the steam will cook the top gently and leave it with a nice shine. Don't flip it over, it's done. Roll up and put in a warm pot with lid so that it will stay hot & not dry out.
    Good luck!
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David!! I'll let you know how it turns out :)

      Delete